
A fault on the Victorian transmission network on November 30 cut power to the potlines of Alcoa’s Portland smelter for more than five hours. Alcoa as a result has curtailed production at one of the potlines at its smelter to ensure safety of the workers.
"Efforts are focused on maintaining production in the smelter's second potline," the company statement said. "It is too early to speculate on the full impact of the power outage, or on how long it may take to restore normal operations," the statement added.
Minister for Industry and Employment, Wade Noonan said he had been assured there would be no impact on the workforce because of the accident.
It is to be noted that the Victorian Government recently refused to renew the 20-year power subsidy to the smelter that expired on October 31. Henceforth, the facility's future has cause added uncertainty to the employees there.

Alcoa was in the process of securing a new power agreement with AGL Loy Yang which the company feared, might lead to an escalation in prices. So, the production halt seems to be another blow for the coastal community of Portland, where more than 2,000 people work in the Alcoa plant.
It has been said that the company had assured the mayor of working around the clock to restore power.
{googleAdsense}
"Council is aware of the uncertainty that this event is causing employees and the Portland community, but we remain optimistic that this problem can be resolved promptly," Glenelg Shire mayor Anita Rank said.
"Portland Aluminium is Victoria's single largest exporter. It is paramount that business can return to normal as soon as possible," she assured.
Ben Davis, Victorian vice president of Australian Workers Union said the power outage was "unprecedented". Aluminium smelters are not designed to operate without power even for a small duration as the pots need to keep the liquid alumina hot. So, an outrage becomes absolutely serious. He further assured that Alcoa at Portland were trying to save as many pots as they could at present and undo this damage.
"At the here and now, we need to focus on getting the place back up and running," he added.
This power failure was the first time in the plant's 30 year history and it caused solidification of the aluminium under production at the time of the blackout, South West Coast MP Roma Britnell said.
"Any damage to the pots is the biggest concern. At a time when Alcoa is facing already-thin profit margins, unexpected issues that are out of the company's control that may have caused damage to the plant are of major concern,” she further added.
An investigation into the fire outrage is already underway.
Responses







